Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Grandma June

My uncle Tom was nice enough to invite us over to his house in Delta to have dinner and spend some time with my Grandma June the Sunday before Christmas. I was shocked when my Dad and Heath brought her out of the rest home in a wheel chair. I guess my Grandma isn't doing very well and just doesn't want to walk some days. She has been going down hill for quite a few years but I was really surprised that she had gotten this bad. She didn't really talk to us at all and my Dad and Tom had to feed her her dinner. I was very sad but it was good to see my Uncle Tom, Aunt Jill, my cousin Stacia and her husband Kurtis and their boys Austin and Tate, and my cousin Brycen. It was a really nice dinner but it was just so sad to see my grandma that way. Right now we live in my grandma's house and so all of the older members of our ward knew my grandma. It is hard when they ask how she is doing. I usually just tell them that she isn't doing very well but she is happy there. I'm not sure if that is even true anymore. She pretty much just has a blank stare on her face for the majority of the time so we never know if she is happy or not. When she first started getting bad my parents moved her into their house and she was very unhappy. She was always trying to run home even though she couldn't remember how to get there and she hated competing for attention with Laura (they were about on the same level then). Then my parents took her to live in Emerald Point in Cedar but she didn't like it there either and it was outrageously expensive. Then my uncle Tom found this extremely cute little rest home in Delta/Deseret (I'm not sure which town it is in). It is called Pleasant Acres, it has a very homey feel. It used to be a house but it was converted into a rest home. It has a huge fenced in yard with a swing where the residents can just wander around. My Grandma really loved it there when she first moved in. She mad friends with an other lady there and they were so cute together, they held hands everywhere they went. The workers there are so sweet. They call everyone honey and sweetie. I'm so glad that she is able to be there, it is just really sad to see her having such a hard time.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

:( Im sorry Hillary! Its so hard to have to go through this!!

the Chidesters said...

Hey Hillary
Sorry to hear about Aunt June! I don't know if I would even recognize her now. I'm glad you guys were able to spend some time with her, though.
Ashley