CAUTION: THIS POST IS EXTREMELY LONG!
Here is a little (actually a huge) sleeping up date since a few people have asked me about it. Apparently getting your child to have normal sleeping habits is a common problem. Trevin really likes his new bed. At night when I put him down he just looks around, notices that he is in his "big boy bed," rolls around a little to get comfy, and then goes right back to sleep. When his bed was new he would wake up during the night, jump out of bed and run to any room that light was coming from. If no lights were on then he would just run to a random room. The pitter-patter of his little feet would wake us up but we could never find him fast enough before panic erupted. Then we would have to clam him down enough to go back to sleep but he would just keep waking up if we put him in his own bed so we just let him finish out the night in our bed. Well, now he has realized that our room is just right across the hall. He doesn't run all over the house looking for us anymore. In fact we don't even hear him running at all. We just wake up and he is in our bed. We don't know if we hear him in our sleep and go and get him or if he just walks into our room and gets in our bed. But whatever is happening it works out fine. There is no more screaming and we get a little bit of sleep without the roller in our bed. When Trevin was having a really hard time sleeping before, the new bed, we thought that he was having night terrors and that was why he couldn't sleep on his own. Night Terrors run in both mine and Dustin's family. My Grandma has dreams that aliens are coming to get her and doesn't realize that they are dreams for a few minutes after waking up and it is really scary. My Mom has done some seriously funny things in her sleep that I am sure she doesn't want me to publish for the world to read (but if you want to hear a really funny story I'll be glad to tell you in person). Dustin's little brother Jesse is the worst of all. He is a major sleep walker and talker. When we all sleep at the cabin Jesse asks us to lock the door and hide the key because he is afraid he will run out into the woods at night and get lost. Jesse and Kenny have slept next to each other almost their whole lives which has helped Jesse sleep better. But once at the cabin Jesse had a night terror which woke us all up except Kenny. Jesse sat straight up and yelled, "O my gosh you are right above us! Look at that you are right above us! I need to look at this. Give me a flash light!" and in his sleep Kenny said, " Oh! The flash light is right here, you can have it but go back to sleep." It was really funny. Jesse has run into peoples rooms screaming in the middle of the night, tried to jump out of the house boat at Lake Powell, and has punched a whole in the wall in his bedroom all while having night terrors. I'm pretty sure that Trevin has inherited night terrors for many reasons. Number One, because he always wakes up in the night at least once. Number Two, because when he wakes up he jumps like a mile high and some times he panics and we can't calm him down for a long time. Number Three, because during his naps he startles awake, says some baby talk, and then drifts back to sleep in whatever position he landed in, like hanging on to the chair with just his hands or hanging up side down off of the chair. And Number Four, which is the concrete proof. Thursday night I couldn't sleep so I got up and had a bath. As I was getting out I heard some rustling in Trevin's room. I ran in there and he was standing by the door holding up his baby Tylenol with his eyes closed still asleep. Apparently he had scaled the changing table next to his bed and crawled back down it with the Tylenol in his hand, all while he was still asleep. Then he didn't know what to do with it so he just stood by the door and waited. He never cried or said anything. All I did was pick him up and put him in his bed and he went right back to sleep. It looks as if there is no hope for Trevin. He will always be a bad sleeper. I guess I can't be mad at him for it. Apparently he has no control over it. Stay tuned because I'm sure there will be a lot of funny sleeping stories to come.

1 comment:
I'm pretty sure Dustin also used to have night terrors. When we would have cousin sleep-overs he would usually wake up in the middle of the night. I agree though, Jesse is the worst. I'm so sorry, that has got to be rough!
Post a Comment