Friday, October 31, 2008

The Funeral of A Friend...Brian Fink

Dustin and I were able to attend Brian Fink's funeral last weekend in Provo. Dustin and Brian (or Fink as Dustin affectionately refers to him) played soccer together in High School. I had only met Brian once or twice but the way Dustin talked about him I knew that he was a really great guy. Dustin has a lot of respect for him. We had actually just been talking about him just a few days before he died. I remember Dustin saying that he was a really hard worker and then Dustin finished the conversation with, "yeah, Fink's a good guy." His funeral was so nice. His family was so strong and was really welcoming. All of the speakers did a really good job. They all commented on how Fink did his best at everything. He never settled for being mediocre. I really admire that. Brian's uncle said something in his talk that I thought was very profound. He said that we should all learn from Brian. "We should always live up to our potential so that the fear of death can never hold us hostage." It was heartbreaking when Brian's family came into the chapel. His little three year old boy was crying and yelling because he didn't want to go in there. He didn't really know what was going on but he didn't like it. He yelled out, " I don't want to be in here. No, it won't ever be okay." I don't think that he really understood what he was saying but it really hit everyone hard. We were sitting with a lot of Brian's friends and I looked around as his little boy came in and all of those big tough boys were fighting back the tears. It is really hard not to cry just writing about it. It was really sad but at the same time the speakers did such a good job to lift every ones spirits and remind us all that the atonement will make everything right in the end. It was actually a really good experience. I am so glad that we went and I know that his family was really happy that so many of his friends came.
Afterwords a lot of us went out to lunch and all of the friends were able to catch up. Everyone shared their memories of Brian and talked about what a good guy he was all during lunch. It was nice for everyone to get together again. It's just too bad that it took a funeral to get everyone together.

No comments: