Every-other Saturday Dustin and I take Trevin to the library to pick up a few new books (we read a lot!). Last trip I saw this book just standing up on the shelf and decided that it looked good. I was totally judging the book by its cover, but those librarians really know how do pick-em, so if they ever set a book out apart from the rest I usually pick it up. Anyway, I haven't been able to put this down. I know that I have a lot of blogging to catch up on but I'll I could do was read. I finished this in only a few days. I couldn't stop reading. Reading this book was one of those events in my life that I couldn't stop thinking about. The only other stories that have affected me this much were the movies Apollo 13 and Brigham City. After I saw these movies they consumed my thoughts and this book has done the same thing. Some times I have to remind myself that it isn't real.If you ever doubted that we need to have food storage you should read this and you will never doubt again. Read it, you will love it. I do have to warn you though there is a little swearing in it. It does say the "F" word twice. Really, I don't know why authors swear in books. It sounds so dumb and just ruins the moment. Here is a little advice Carla Buckley, if you want me to buy your books don't swear in them!!! I can't describe the book as well as the jacket cover does so here is what it says.
"A year ago, Ann and Peter Brooks were just another unhappily married couple trying—and failing—to keep their relationship together while they raised two young daughters. Now the world around them is about to be shaken again, when Peter, a university researcher, comes to a startling realization: a virulent pandemic has made the terrible leap across the ocean to America's heartland. And it is killing fifty out of every hundred people it touches. As her town goes into lockdown, Peter is forced to return home—with his beautiful graduate assistant. But their safe suburban world is no longer the refuge it once was. Food grows scarce. Neighbor turns against neighbor in grocery stores and at gas pumps. And then a winter storm strikes, and they are left huddling in the dark. Trapped inside the house she once called home, Ann Brooks must make life-or-death decisions in an environment where opening a door to a neighbor could threaten all the things she holds dear. Carla Buckley's poignant debut raises important questions to which there are no easy answers, in an emotionally riveting tale of one family facing unimaginable horror. "

No comments:
Post a Comment