Saturday, March 6, 2010

Our children are trying to kill us

We will start with Libby. The day she turned one week I had just nursed her in the morning right after she woke up and then I laid her on the bed so I could go get some breakfast. She had never spit up so I wasn't worried about laying her on the bed for just a few minutes. But wouldn't you know right when I stood up she started throwing up all over. Apparently she wasn't prepared either because she started choking and not breathing. I was patting her on the back and suctioning everywhere I could think of but she still wouldn't breathe and she was turning blue. It was by far the worst thirty seconds of my life. Just as I reached for my phone to call 911 a whole bunch of stuff came out of her nose and she started making breathing sounds. So I called Dustin and my mom and to make a long and very scary story short, we spent the rest of the morning in the doctor's office and was sent home with a heart and breathing monitor. She is totaly fine now and hasn't done anything like that since but I can't help but freak out every time she spits up.
.
Trevin got the early riser gene from Dustin. He rarely takes a nap, doesn't go to bed until nine or ten (but at least he will sleep in his bed now and not in ours), and wakes up in the morning before anyone - usually around six. Dustin will get him breakfast and a drink and then will turn on something for him to watch before he goes to work. There is no way on earth that I can ever wake up before 8:30 so Trevin has roughly an hour and a half every morning when he is completely unsupervised. What I wake up to some mornings is overwhelming. So far I have woken up to his face right in mine, oatmeal all over the carpet, an entire box of Lucky Charms with all of the marshmallows removed, another box of cereal with all of the raisins removed, the TV colored blue, every toy in the house on my bedroom floor, and the killer - a poopy diaper on the floor in the baby's room and an entire box of used wipes in the garbage can and a little boy with poop all over him standing next to me saying "do you want to change my bum now?" This prompted our latest attempt at potty training which has been quite successful. We had one very horrible experience but I think my eruption of anger scared him way from ever doing that again. After the aforementioned bad experience we were having a very serious talk and Trevin said "No, seriously Mom, trust me, I won't do it again!" Today we went to my sister Jessie's violin performance and then shopping and he made it the whole time without an accident. He even used the potty at the store. I just made him walk around the house naked for a few days and then we slowly worked him into undies and then into pants. He doesn't always make it but he is getting better everyday. We are pleasantly surprised.
.
Oh yea, and then Trevin got the stomach flu last week and threw up once and was fine. Two days later Dustin and I got the same thing and we couldn't stop throwing up and then Libby got it two days after that.

2 comments:

Stacia said...

Hang in there!! You are such a perfect "Mom" and those two little ones are very precious.

Stathis Five said...

Thanks for letting me see cute Libby today. You are doing a great job with Trevin.