Saturday, March 20, 2010

Getting the Hang of Things

Not that I expected it to be easy or anything, but having two kids is much harder than it looks. It has taken us a few weeks to adjust. I was pretty overwhelmed in the beginning. I was a little hormonal and was feeling like no one was helping me, even though I was getting a lot of help. I took it all out on Trevin and Dustin. One day Trevin and I were watching TV and a commercial for anti-depressants came on and Trevin asked me if I need that. I asked him why he thought I needed it and he said, "Because I make a mess and then you just cry and cry and cry." Right then I realized that I must need to control my emotions a little better. I promised Trevin that if he wouldn't make as big of mess that I would stop crying.
Once Libby was born all of a sudden I expected Trevin to stop being the baby and expected him to be very responsible. He was not happy about that and started saying, "I thought that you wanted to do _______ with me." and "I can't do it. Come on, I need you to help me." He has become very bossy and very busy. I am at a loss with him, the whining is non-stop. I just can't keep him occupied during the day. What kinds of things can three-year-olds do to keep themselves busy? I need some suggestions. He just gets all of his toys out and then leaves them. It seems that the only thing that he likes to do is get stuff out. Once everything is out he has nothing to do. I 'm tired of messes (which he is getting much better at not making but they still happen occasionally) and watching movies over and over. Help! He likes to play games, Legos and dress up but ours are getting old.
Trevin does love to take care of Libby. He gets so excited when she has her eyes open. The first time he heard her cry he ran in from the other room yelling "I'm coming to the rescue Libby!" He likes to bring her stuffed animals to calm her down. One day she just wouldn't calm down so he he just kept bringing more and more animals.
Then Dustin took her out of the swing so Trevin put Elmo in her place.
Don't worry I don't really let them sleep like this I was just comparing their size. Trevin is such a big boy! And he is such a good big brother. He loves Libby so much. He loves to talk to her and give her kisses all day. One Sunday Dustin's little brother Jesse was just playing and told Libby to stop being naughty. Trevin was outraged. He stood up and said, "My baby sister is not naughty!"
Besides Trevin being really bored, everything else is going really well. I have kept the house clean for almost a week now and have made dinner most days this week. One day Trevin just got so bored he fell asleep. He is impossible to wake up so I just took advantage of the free time and tried to take some pictures of Libby. I found out that I am not a very good photographer. These are the best ones. I guess we need to get some professional ones done.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So cute. Both of them. The adjustment it really hard-it's hard for the other child as well. Marley acted out a lot in the beginning. One thing that I found helped was doing a mommy/Marley date once in a while. I think having my undivided attention again was something she needed. I saw a drastic improvement when we did that.

3 year olds are tough because they need constant activities it seems like. Cedar is hard cause there isn't much to do with them. sorry! Hopefully it will get better when the weather gets warmer.

April Miner said...

That little Trevin is SO cute. What a swell big brother. And she is so pretty!

Kristin, Scott, Emily and Eric said...

You're making me nervous to have my baby!! :) j/k