I guess we weren't paying very good attention this summer because we found out that it was Dustin's parents week to have the house boat the day their week started. They hadn't been doing much of anything at work for a few weeks so we just dropped everything and head to Lake Powell. For years I have been trying to talk Dustin into borrowing his parent's boat and going to Lake Powell but he always said that we need more people to go with us to help out. But since they weren't doing anything at work and the house boat was just sitting there empty I talked him into going down a day before everyone else, just the four of us. He really didnt' like the idea but I had my mind made up that we could do it. We ended up getting to the lake after dark so we just loaded all of our stuff and the kids in these little carts and walked down to the house boat. The kids thought it was so fun they insisted on riding in them when we took them back the next morning.
Dustin was super nervous to unload the boat the next morning and get out on the lake. We got the boat backed down into the water and were just about to unhook it when we decided we better check and make sure it would start before it started floating aimlessly away from us. And wouldn't you know the battery was dead. Just our luck! And did I mention that Dustin hates being out in the heat, and that he doesn't really even like Lake Powell and that it was HIS THIRTIETH BIRTHDAY that day! At that point I was pretty sure I had just ruined his life by making him come and do stuff he was anxious about and doesn't even like when it is going well and all of this on his birthday! After a few very nice people attempted unsuccessfully to jump us with jumper packs, I offered to run back to the house boat to look for jumper cables. It was a VERY long run back to the house boat and there were no cables. I was so discouraged I thought I would cry. But I hurried back up the hill to where Dustin and the kids were, determined to find a way to charge that stupid battery and do it happily. Amazingly when I got to the boat everyone was relaxing, listening to music and having the best time. While I had been running the Lake Powell Marathon, Dustin found some jumper cables hidden in the truck and had the boat already to go! It was a miracle!
After all of the battery drama we ran that boat like a well oiled machine. We got it out in the water and back to the dock and all over the lake with no problems. Trevin was great. He loved being on the lake and would just sit so still in his seat. Libby didn't love the life jacket or the back of the boat so well. But after we got her a bottle, a blanket, and moved her up to the front of the boat she was as happy as could be.
Okay enough story. Picture time.
The boat was so relaxing that Libby couldn't stay awake.
Me and Trevin tubing. Dustin drove us while Libby slept on her towel bed on the floor of the boat. Then Dustin and I traded and I drove while he rode with Trevin. When Libby woke up she went on a slow ride with me too.
We let Trevin drive while me and Dustin tubed, Just kidding! But he would have loved that.
Libby and Dustin taking a long walk on the beach.
Trevin building a sand castle.
Just before dark we took a boat ride over to the Dam.
I was so happy with how well the day ended up . I had the best time. It was my favorite Lake Powell trip ever! Maybe I will be able to talk Dustin into more trips next summer.
That night we made dinner at the house boat and blew out candles. Since we left in such a hurry I didn't have time to make a cake so he just got this little dinky store bought one and I didn't have any presents for him. Instead of getting ready for his birthday I was getting ready for this trip. I am such a bad wife! What a way a spend your thirtieth birthday. Sorry! Next year I will make up for it!
Late that night Dustin's parents and his brother Kenny came. The next morning we were back on the lake tubing and having tons of fun.We packed sandwiches and had lunch out on a beach where we explored for a little while.
Grandpa Curtis and Grandma Emily on a walk with Libby.
Kenny's sand fortress.
The next morning we had a little late birthday party and then we headed home. Dustin's family stayed for the next round of family to come on board.
I think that Lake Powell is perfect in September. The water is still warm but the air has started to cool off. School has started so not many people are still vacationing. I love Lake Powell and this was my most favorite trip ever. Dustin even admitted that he had a great time too.
No comments:
Post a Comment